CLIENTS RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBLITIES
As a client, you have the right to:
- Know the names of the people providing you with care.
- Receive care that is respectful, non-discriminatory, considerate and timely.
- Ask questions if you do not understand any information given to you.
- Be an active participant in your care and make choices about your treatment including refusing treatment and be informed of the health risks of your decision.
- Complete, up-to-date information about your diagnosis, treatment and prognosis in terms you can understand in order to participate in decisions regarding your care. This includes being told about any known risks and alternatives, if any.
- Be told if something unexpected and significant happens in your care and have any resulting changes to your care discusses with you.
- Make choices about how your information is collected, used and disclosed by us.
- Expect that all communications and records pertaining to your care be available only to those directly concerns with your care.
- Access your health record, either to view or receive a copy of it.
- Expect that your personal health information will be treated in a confidential manner by all health providers and staff with whom you are involved.
- Express your concerns about Maamwesying North Shore Community Health Services or it’s staff and receive a response.
- Receive complete information about any research project in which you are invited to participate, with an option to refuse to participate without it affecting your care.
As a client, we ask that you:
- Tell us any concerns you have about the safety and/or quality of your care.
- Treat our staff, health care providers, other patients and visitors with consideration and respect.
- Arrive at appointments and/or program events on time. If they must be cancelled or postponed, we ask that you notify us as soon as possible.
- Be open and honest with us about your health history and health care needs (including your past and current illnesses, allergies, medications and dosages, and family health history).
- Bring all medication both western and traditional to your appointment and disclose to your provider.
- Let us know about any changes in your contact information.
- Participate in surveys and conversation sessions to let us know about your experiences in utilizing our services.
- Follow the procedure in the Complaint Brochure located at your health centre when an issue arises.
- Take an active role in your own care by:
- Being proactive in keeping yourself healthy
- Using the advice and information from your health care providers
- Asking questions to clarify information
- Telling us what is important to you.
We ask you to support us in providing a safe, secure and respectful environment for all our patients and staff.